Thursday, September 27, 2012

Post reading questions for week 4

Section 1:  Explain in laymen terms the concept of structural privilege.
Structural privilege is not unlike living in a first world country, in fact, it very much the same thing conceptually.  Those fortunate enough to be born and raised in the US for example cannot begin to fathom life in Liberia.  Just as someone like myself wouldn't really be able to fully grasp the personal effects and repercussions of being white.  Now, it's easy for me to dimiss behavior of those born in a third world country as barbaric or grisly, simply because I couldn't imagine the situations where they're actions would be justified.  Take again Liberia for example, something along the lines of 50% of the population ins some of the major communities have resorted to cannibalism at one point or another during their lives.  On the outside it's easy for me to dismiss these actions as disgusting because food is pretty much always within reach.  Even if I didn't have money I could find myself at a shelter with a cot and a warm meal thanks to our government.  This is the same that can be said about whites.  Some reasoning just can't be adapted because of how well privileged they inherently are.  A white mother may not understand why there is such a distate for law enforcement amongst minorities, if anything, the only reason you should fear the law is because you're breaking the law, or so she may presume.  In reality, a minority may avoid the police because of harassment by local law enforcement simply because of skin color.  The white woman simply has it easier because she's white,  and that is the gist of  structural privilege 

Section 2: The structural Privilege that I possess.
I have some privileges, such as the availability of scholarships.  There are quite a few scholarship funds set up for hispanics, especially for those who wish to attend school on the east coast, where there is a smaller presences of the hispanic community.  It does have downsides.  A few times when people have met me, they have remarked that I look different then they had imagined, as many times that person simply had nothing but my first and last name to run off of.  I've received a ticket nearly every time I've been pulled over.  My white friends on the other hand have been pulled over more than myself and have been let off nearly every time.  

Section 3: Accuracy of Black Girl Dangerous' view on Reverse Racism.
I do agree in some aspect about her viewpoints upon how silly reverse racism is.  She approches with a tongue in cheek tactic that drives the point home.  I like how she subtly points out all the things that would essentially need to happen for the reverse racism notion to ring true.  On the other hand, not all races of color have endured all that she has listed equally if at all, so it's a bit of a trade off.  In reality, I feel that white people simply won't understand what's like to be victims of racism to structural privilege.        
            


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorenzo,
    Bringing up first world privilege is an important point- that we didn't quite get to in class. I think your example does a good job of showing how a lack of awareness of structural positioning can lead to judgement and misunderstanding. However, I am unsure that 50% of the Liberian population at one time has been engaged in cannabalism- can you please provide your source?
    Some of your other classmates have also mentioned that scholarships specifically geared towards people of color or women indicate that they have advantage. I will ask you the same questions: why are there scholarships directly geared for Latinos? Do White folks need these same scholarships? Have Latinos always had the same access to educational institutions and paying for school?
    Lastly, I am glad you see the connections between claims of reverse racism and structural advantage- we will getting more into this next week.
    --eas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, here's a link to the documentary that I gathered much of my information on Liberia from. Be warned, once you begin watching, be ready to sink an entire nights worth of tie into theses videos, they're addicting. Watch the North Korean documentary after, really interesting.

      http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-to-travel/the-vice-guide-to-liberia-1

      Delete