Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pre-Reading Questions for Week 3

The consequences of labeling select groups as a race and or ethnicity has the ability to subtly undermine or glorify types of people.  For example, white will always have a place on a Census ballot, but Latino is hardly ever present, this can promote mixed feelings of belonging.  In comparison to the races listed, the only addition I had was Latino.  With such a growing influence in America, It's hard to imagine it not being an option on the census.  Its absence brings up multiple questions about myself and race, are we to be rolled into the white category?  Should we even fill out the rest of the census?  Are we even to be counted? Having to fill in the "other race" box makes me feel less likely to be taken seriously.  As to why they would do this, perhaps to gauge what it is a Latino person would do during a situation like this?

Filling out the pamphlet has me check the Mexican box, but further on I'd have to write in Latino under the "other race" box.    It simply doesn't make sense, especially given the fact that Latinos have been on this landmass as long or longer than all of the other races on the Census!

The lack of, or presence, of races on the Census seems to promote an importance of majority, rather than the minority.  By separating the three races of white, black or Native American seems to elevate them above all others.  Almost to say that you're black, white, and/or other.  It also seems to say that if you're other and white or black, assume you are one of the two in the latter as the predominant trait.

If I could redo the categories, I'd group them all together with the addition of Latino.  I would also add in the option to state where it is you were born.  By grouping them together, there is less of an emphasis on certain races. 

Overtime the Census has no doubt changed.  In fact, the type of white you were must've played a larger part.  Irish were once discriminated upon during early America, usually put into a group unto themselves.  I'm also sure that black wasn't an option until after they could vote.  No doubt Latino will be an option in coming time, with the addition of others I'm sure.  Race is indeed a social construct, but as America blends more, eventually I doubt there even be a race option.  
   


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lorenzo,
    First of all, I received your email- no worries, I will count your other pre-reading blogs. Also, I think your reflection about Latinos not being counted as a race is spot-on, in addition to being very articulate. I think you will find the Hattam reading very engaging- as it deals with these issues very directly. Also, I would urge you to keep these questions in mind as you we do the activities for this week.
    --eas

    ReplyDelete